SkwalZone

Basic Binding Setup and Positioning

From method to the skwal gear, here's the place!

Moderator: WebTeam

Basic Binding Setup and Positioning

Postby gigabass » 05 Mar 2011 15:37

Hello Skwalers,

Though I've always wanted to try out, i never did yet (looking forward for my first rides next week ...)
I got me an Easy Jungle 165 now, good condition. I know it's a beginners board, but hey, i am a beginner. I've done 20 years alpine snowboarding, but skwaling is probably different from snowboarding. I read Obo One's Technical Skwal instruction (very well done, thanks a lot) which will probably a good help.

But before i start i have some some questions about a basic binding-fitting. The skwal i got iteself is in a really good condition, but the binding (thias) was somehow mounted strange i think.

the easy jungle has 3 differen binding positions called 'F1 F2 FP' (from head to middle) and 'B1 B2 BP' (from middle to back). the binding was mounted in F1 and BP for the largest possible stance, but when reading obi one's instruction it would be better to have the feet close together. this would work fine for me if both bindings are in same position (F1/B1 or F2/B2 or FP/BP) - closer is not possible.Currently mounted for testing in the F1/B1 position (middle). Now the question is the preferred one to start with ? There is a '0' and a '-4' marker visible between the bindings, the '0' is closer to the front than to the back so it seems to me that the bindings are not in the middle of the board when mounted this way.

2nd - the bindings have little canting, i assume the reason is to support comfort. i'm riding regular, so i assume the lower side of the front should point to the left, and the lower side of the back to the right. The binding had additional skims, 6 about 5mm + 4 with additional canting. they were mounted so that the canting of the skim was opposite to the binding's and so neutralizing the canting's effect. doesn't seem to make sense to me, am i right ?
does it make sense to raise the toe of the front by using 2 skims and lower the heel of the front (just using 1) - and lower the back to (using 1) and raising the back heel (using 2) ? i know binding positioning and setup is probably a bit different from rider to rider, but i want to start with a reasonable basic setup.

thanks for help

guido
gigabass

Re: Basic Binding Setup and Positioning

Postby obi one » 05 Mar 2011 22:27

Hi Guido

start with F2/B2 , no lateral lifts, and test (as you said) : toe of the front by using 2 skims and lower the heel of the front (just using 1) - and lower the back to (using 1) and raising the back heel (using 2)...

just give it a try and ride...as you come from snowboard...just remember not to rotate that much with the upper body and think about a motorbike turn...

where are you from?
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby gigabass » 06 Mar 2011 12:10

hi obi one,

thanks for the quick reply. i'm from ratingen / germany, and i will be in portes du soleil (les crosets) next week (from 12-19).
motorcylce is a good hint, as i'm also familiar with that.

i will then start with the F2/B2 position. feet are rather close together in that position, and i have to unlock the front foot first before i can unlock the back. sounds a bit uncomfortable before / after lift, esp. compared to the step-in bindings i'm used form the snowboard, but i will get used to that :D
gigabass

Postby VouC » 06 Mar 2011 23:12

Hi Guido,
Good to hear that you will be in ''Les Portes du Soleil'' for one week.
I'm sure you will enjoy.

I'm living very near from there and I go ride there sometimes.
Unfortunately both 12 and 19 weekend are taken by skwal races in Vauljany and Pila.
I work during the week but there's a way to ride together on wednesday night because there's night skiing that day.

I hope I can pick up some more skwaler to come.

I'm sure you will already be a good skwaler on wednesday and that you will be happy to try some other skwal boards, I'll take some.

Enjoy and maybe see you.
MR183, MR173, Oxess SX178.
Bomber TD2 Skwal stepin, Catek OS2 stepin.
Blax Franz avec talon stepin Fin-tec de Bomber.
VouC
High Rank Member

Postby tufty » 07 Mar 2011 08:56

I *might* be able to make it to the Portes du Soleil either Tuesday or Wednesday, dependent on whether I can convince my visitors that they want to come as well. I'll post here Monday if I can.
tufty

Postby obi one » 07 Mar 2011 17:45

gigabass wrote:hi obi one,

thanks for the quick reply. i'm from ratingen / germany, and i will be in portes du soleil (les crosets) next week (from 12-19).
motorcylce is a good hint, as i'm also familiar with that.

i will then start with the F2/B2 position. feet are rather close together in that position, and i have to unlock the front foot first before i can unlock the back. sounds a bit uncomfortable before / after lift, esp. compared to the step-in bindings i'm used form the snowboard, but i will get used to that :D

yes, feet are close together (stance is something around 4cm or less between feet, according to classic skwal technique),

...well step-in are an option for your skwal future...

Ps-follow the advice by VouC and go ride all together if you and tufty could make it on wednesday... :)
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby tufty » 16 Mar 2011 11:31

Dammit. Portes du Soleil ended up being a washout, couldn't go. Car broke down massively on Monday, spent all of yesterday replacing bits of the hydraulic system after driving down from work with no suspension, power steering or brakes. Bloody Citroens :)
tufty

Postby gigabass » 09 May 2011 11:58

sorry folks, i didn't follow up the thread actively after the technical questions were answered, seems this forum doesn't add the own threads to the favourites automatically so i didn't get an email notification.
thanks for offering a ride, maybe we can get together next year.

snow conditions weren't that great, rather hard to icy in the early morning changing to very very soft soon, we had up to 10 degress in 1700m at 12.00.

i did half alpine board, half skwal, and after the first 2 hours where i had to get used to it it was REAL fun !
now i'm spoilt for choice what to do next year. middle to end of the week i felt i had maxed out the easy jungle. i need new equipment anyway, and have to decide for skwal or alpine board (budget is not big enough for both). season is over, so i have some months to decide (fun-factor on the skwal was great, so it's 60:40 for the skwal at the moment). sbastian opend an interresting thread for board comparison here : http://www.skwalzone.org/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3445 - i might come up with something similar later.

thanks
guido
gigabass

Postby Zarkod » 09 May 2011 21:20

Hi guido,
The easy jungle is one of the most limited skwal board, you should enjoy almost anything else ;)
:: Thias FC180, SK200, 173°F, RS176 carbone, FC165 ::
Visit skwalzone.org!
only skwal makes it possible!
Zarkod
High Rank Member

Return to Technical discussions