SkwalZone

Overdrive - Obi One's last film

Talk about anything you want, but try to keep appropriate topics.

Moderator: WebTeam

Overdrive - Obi One's last film

Postby obi one » 26 Apr 2011 16:06

this is for you my skwal friends... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2yg3r8KG-0

Obi One
obi one
Advanced Member

Re: Overdrive - Obi One's last film

Postby Rascasse » 26 Apr 2011 20:58

Interesting camera angle and great shooting. You're the master of your own domain. Kudos to you !!
Rascasse
High Rank Member

Postby sabestian » 29 Apr 2011 01:01

All that true but why are you trying so hard to EC? Is it so fun or are you trying to prove something? Basically, it is against the body symmetry principle formulated in skwal tecnica.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby obi one » 29 Apr 2011 14:27

sabestian wrote:All that true but why are you trying so hard to EC? Is it so fun or are you trying to prove something? Basically, it is against the body symmetry principle formulated in skwal tecnica.

Hi Sebastian, you are a great observer, thank you.
Well, let me say that I am not applying EC (Extreme Carving snowboard), but RSC (Radical Skwal Carving or Skwarving). EC involves rotation and two different postures of the upper body parts (especially the arms positioning) during the laid down process for front or back side. RSC instead requires the same body posture for laid down turns to the right or to the left, and no rotation (of the upper body parts)...we are frontal in the midlle of the turn, they are lateral...we drive a motorbike, they ride a windsurf...

In any case I love Radical Skwal Carving (RSC or Skwarving) as personal skwal attitude (and attraction to full surface gliding): It gives me a full snow pleasure. However this technique is not surely the one I would reccommend so easily to new or dedicated skwalers. RSC is a complete radicalization of a skwal technique, at least the one I conceived in Technica-Skwal in my web-site until page 14...

...and after page 14 a definition follows (taken from Technica-Skwal on my site):

Skwarving© (Radical Skwal Carving©)
The radical approach to skwal carving or Skwarving© is the management of one or more carving turns with the full body (in the snow-side) laid down in the snow during the lead phase (from 1 to 5 hours and from 11 to 7 hours in the feet-clock model). The lateral part of the body in the full snow-side is completely laid down in the snow. All lateral parts of the bust, support and in-line units are fully gliding in the snow during the lead process, accompanying the turn evolution.

as you can read in this quote above I do not mention anything about symmetry or arms positioning but only the "all lateral parts" will glide during the carve. At the time I was writing this definition (more than a year ago) I was fully aware that it was not an omission but awareness that symmetry will be lost and arms positioning will adapt to the snow surface. In RSC, symmetry "in practice" is lost, you are right then :)

everybody can experiment the "RSC loss of symmetry" by laying down on the floor and assuming a skwal carving position: if you carve on the floor to the right then your right arm must be moved forward and you could keep your left arm mirroring the right one,...but "in practice" (I mean on the snow durin a real radical turn) it is almost impossible to keep this symmetrical positioning...pheraps with a 45 deg. perfect slope and and perfectly smooth surface this is possible 8) ...but the reality is that, for instance, when you lay down to the left during a RSC your right arm tend to "help" the body equilibrium by gliding in the snow together with the left arm in order to increase the the points of contact to the snow (same applies to the right turn)...I still do believe this double touch on the snow is wrong,...but it happens frequently...in fact, if I look to the EC experts and inventors (the great fivat and rillet) I see that with perfect slope conditions they keep the arm not involved in the extreme carve attached to the hips...(they justify this action in terms of reduction of irrelevant movements and they are very right)

...I am already experimenting this... :) more to come in videos next season... :)

Obi One
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby Zarkod » 30 Apr 2011 18:14

Very nice skwal promotion video!
:: Thias FC180, SK200, 173°F, RS176 carbone, FC165 ::
Visit skwalzone.org!
only skwal makes it possible!
Zarkod
High Rank Member

Postby obi one » 02 May 2011 09:08

Zarkod wrote:Very nice skwal promotion video!

still too radical in some parts but, yes promotion is the keyword :)

we need to remember "who we are" and "where we are going" as a community of skwalers...we need visions and messages... we need them now :) we need more films to represent us...we need to expose and protect our skwal identity...

obi one
obi one
Advanced Member

Postby sabestian » 02 May 2011 20:26

I have to say that you amaze me with your analitical and - at the same time - practical approach. How you put all this together and make it work is beyond my comprehension. I envy you. In a good way. I hope to meet you one day, ride and have a beer or two. Keep on skwaling.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby VouC » 02 May 2011 20:58

obi one wrote:we need to remember "who we are" and "where we are going" as a community of skwalers...we need visions and messages... we need them now :) we need more films to represent us...we need to expose and protect our skwal identity...

I totally agree and if only a few skwaler would only do a 10th of what you do in term of images, we would be in a very good direction :-)
Keep on that nice way.
MR183, MR173, Oxess SX178.
Bomber TD2 Skwal stepin, Catek OS2 stepin.
Blax Franz avec talon stepin Fin-tec de Bomber.
VouC
High Rank Member

Postby sabestian » 02 May 2011 21:12

I think that we can successfully promote skwaling by simply riding. It is self-defending exercise. People see, people ask, people talk, people spread. Pure carving looks almost as beautiful as it feels, and there is nothing carving as purely as a skwal. Of course, filming it is taking it to a new dimension!

Edited: refrazed for bad wording.
sabestian
Advanced Member

Postby Rascasse » 12 May 2011 20:44

... And Cannes 2011 "Palme d'or" goes to:

Obi one for "The art of Skwarving" !!
Rascasse
High Rank Member

Postby Rascasse » 03 Jun 2011 13:56

The season is not over, Obi one. Time to shoot another movie this season for our viewing pleasure !!

http://www.valthorens.com/ete-fr/sejour ... 3.nb0.html
Rascasse
High Rank Member

Postby obi one » 06 Jun 2011 18:11

seson is not over...you are right : ) .... mmmm I will think about it : ) thanks for the info Rascasse

Obi
n
e
obi one
Advanced Member

Return to General Discussions